Tuesday, August 8, 2017

QCE Review Series: Part 9 - "What Is Intersex" By Hann Lindahl


We're gonna tackle the last book that I got from Hann Lindahl today, What Is Intersex? I have to say, this is one that I was very much looking forward to reading because even I have questions about this as well, and it's ALWAYS awkward, no matter who you're asking, to be like "uh... what doncha tell me about your junk?" So this little guide came in real handy answering not only the questions I had, but the ones I didn't even know I had either. This is another short one, about ten pages, and I gotta say, i wish it was longer. I know i say this about all these short little zines, but it's the truth. I'd LOVE to see this concept expanded upon into a bigger, fuller guide covering these topics. however, I get the feeling that what this guide might have actually been meant for was urging readers to continue research on their own, if they're so inclined, which is what I wound up doing, because I'm an inquiring mind who wants to know!
Even still, if a more expanded and detailed guide on this topic existed which kept that adorable cartoon aesthetic, I'd love to won that as well. Because really, when you get right down to it, ANY subject, no matter how thick and daunting it might seem from the outside can ALWAYS be improved with cartoons! Or at least that has been my experience. speaking of which, the illustrations in this book are topnotch. A lot of the characters introduced within its pages are people that I know personally, and while the book doesn't give away their identities, I, as a person "in the know" see them as wonderful representations of their real life counterparts. Even if you don't know the peeps involved, the art can be appreciated very much so on it's own. It has that colourful, soft, rounded edges vibe that evokes Steven Universe or Adventure Time to me. It's a marvelous aesthetic that I love seeing being proliferated. I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel influenced by it myself. If you find yourself curious about what exactly Intersex even is and you're not quite sure who to ask or where to start, pick up this little volume. I promise it'll be worth your while.


No comments:

Post a Comment