Wednesday, March 1, 2017

TransCat Pencil Adventures #5! Now on Patreon!

Good afternoon, readers! It is March the 1st and you know what that means! A new TransCat Pencil Adventure to help fill that illustrated void inside you! After so long without a new TransCat issue it is the least I can do. This one is for Patrons only though, so if you have not already, hop onto my Patreon page, all it costs is a dollar, and from now until THE IDES OF MARCH I'll be uploading a new page of this new TransCat adventure every weekday!


So a little bit about this new story. This one is called "The Discourse" and it is one in a long series of short comics I penned awhile back that involve gags at the expense of shitty second wave feminists who make it a point to exclude trans women from their activism, and will even go out of their way to make their activism harm trans women. You've probably heard of these people before but for those not in the know, we call them TERFs, or (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists) although some have argued the validity of calling them "feminists" at all. Until we come up with a better term for them I'll stick with that one. Sometimes they'll go as far as to say that the word (acronym?) TERF is a nasty nasty slur and you should never ever use it. I have a hard time buying that though, since it is just a brief description of someone's ideals. Just because I'm placing myself in direct opposition of those ideals doesn't make the term describing them a slur.

In either case, I drew this right before Trump was elected, and AFTER he was elected I was thinking "maybe this isn't the right time, cuz like, Trump is a much more real danger right now and making fun of TERFs is kinda like, the smallest of small potatoes now" and I was gonna just sit on this for awhile. Then, the fakest fo fake goths made her way back onto Facebook and suddenly this all became relevant again.

Once again, for those of you NOT in the know, The Fake Goth in question is none other than feminism's own Cathy Brennan. I don't know if she's in any way officially named herself as the "leader" of the TERF movement, but even if not, she sure goes out of her way to make herself a figurehead, and makes sure we all know she's the one doing the most damage.

Among her most heinous of actions is her involvement in "Gender Identity Watch", a loosely confederated group of online stalkers who out trans people to their friends, family, school and/or jobs without their permission. The actions of this group have been at the root of firings, expulsions, disownings and even murders/suicides. Brennan continues to show no sympathy or awareness of her actions. In fact her demeanor has remained, shall we say "cooly antagonistic", which is the best way I can think to describe it. She seems to understand that what she's doing is "wrong" but also doesn't seem to care, and flaunts the fact that she has not been caught, punished or taken to task by anyone in the faces of the people she is affecting. Or at least this is the demeanor I glean from her when I see her actually active on social media (it goes without saying, she gets banned a lot).

Anywho, the crux of the joke about her being a "Fake Goth" stem from an old Twitter profile I think, in which she described herself as a feminist and a "proud goth". Naturally the internet took this and ran with it, because honestly, the jokes write themselves at this point. you can call Brennan a transmisogynist, a shitty feminist, a stalker, a murder, and she doesn't seem to care. Call her a fake goth though and that really seems to ruffle her feathers. i too was once a goth and I understand how seriously they take themselves. So yeah, that's just a little something I wanted you all to understand SO that this comic makes sense to you.
I may be guilty of having a comic with a premise that's a little TOO obscure, but considering I try to go out of my way to make TransCat a very accessible read 99% of the time, I think I'm allowed to have this one :P

Trust me though, for anyone who didn't need to read this little abridged history of the TERF movement, the ending of this comic is gonna be funny as hell!

So TUNE IN TOMORROW for more! Learn more about the ominous figure "Senior Mysterioso", find out what TransCat does on her off nights, and furthermore, just enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment