Monday, August 8, 2016

The Future Of TransCat


So for those of you who follow me on social media, you might have seen a very emotional outburst from me on Facebook regarding my frustration with the cartoon business, followed by a loud, angry proclamation that I'm quitting my art and giving up on my dreams.

Well, now that I've calmed down, let me get into the actual meat of the problem and maybe bring some clarification to the situation I'm facing, and dish out the weight of my decisions.

This decision stems from more than just a frustration with the cartooning biz. It stems from family drama and a growing financial crisis that's enveloping us. I do work a regular job apart from doing cartoons. It pays okay, and generally I think I'm good at it and I like doing it. Until recently, it paid my bills just fine, and allowed me the opportunity to pursue my comic book dreams, and achieve success at them on my own terms, even if i had to sacrifice in order to do it.

Sadly, such things are not meant to last, as my father, who has been severely ill, mentally and physically, for a long time, has needed an increasing amount of financial support over the years. For awhile, it was something my mom was able to take care of. It wasn't fun for her, obviously, to have a sick spouse who couldn't work, wasn't bringing in money, and to have to constantly put his needs before her own, but she managed.
Over time, the financial demands of their lives together became stricter, and stricter. He needed more, she was making less. I stepped in to try and help. I sadly, could not offer much, but I gave what I could, even though I knew how little it helped.

Now, comes the major test. For reasons I won't get TOO into, my mom is facing the possibility that she might not be able to work for awhile. We're not sure how long, but it COULD be for a long time. Getting by was hard enough on her own, and it's not like she ever had an opportunity to save anything up. This isn't an occasion that I can afford to NOT rise to. I have only a few paths open to me if i want to help in a way that will make a difference.

1. I need to find a much higher paying job.

2. I need to get a night and weekend job.

3. I need to make a lot of money from my comics right the fuck now.

I've been playing my hand at getting famous for a long time now. I started Para~Somnia Comics in 2007, and while I'm a lot farther now than I've ever been, it's not a stream of income I can rely on.

Finding a much higher paying job would be ideal, but even if that were the case, the chances that I'd have most, if not all of my free time eaten up by it are high. More than likely, I'll have to pick up and night and weekend job to do, and that will most certainly eat up ALL my free time. I will have to drastically re-arrange my sleep schedule to accommodate.

As I'm sure you've figured out by now, less free time = Less time to draw.
Working on weekends = No more conventions.
No more drawing + No more conventions = No more TransCat

This is not a decision I am making lightly. Trust me when I say I DO NOT WANT THIS! I'm not giving up cartooning because I'm frustrated. I'm giving up because I don't have another choice. This is just what my life is turning into, and I need to adapt.

So! What can you, the TransCat audience expect in the coming months, or years? I do not have all the answers, but I have some. I'll give you what I have.

First: Issue #8 will come out as planned. It likely be the last issue, or at least the last physical issue, until I can get my shit together.

Second: I have 4 more convention appearances planned this year. Sac Anime on September 2nd through the 4th, Santa Rosa Comic and Toy Show on September 24th, Gaymer X September 30th through October 2nd, and Alternative Press Expo October 8th through the 9th.
All of these have already been payed for and I don't think I can get my money back from them, so it would be stupid to cancel. I'm gonna go to each of these cons and sell as much as I can, but after that, I have to stop.

Third: There are three TransCat stories yet to be released in other publications. One in Shuffle, one in Lightbulb and one in an as-of-yet unnamed comic compilation. These will be released as scheduled, even if we don't know what that schedule is right now. I'll do my best to keep you guys informed.

Fourth: There are countless pages of TransCat stories that may never see publication now. In what little time I have, I'm going to work on completing them and releasing them to you somehow. More than likely through Patreon.

Fifth: I had made mention of a few "secret" projects that I was working on that I could not reveal yet. Rest assured, I'm not the only one working on those, so those might still come to pass. Again, I'll do my best to keep you all in the loop.

So that's the long and short of it, guys. does it suck? Yes indeed, it sucks. I've literally never been more angry about something in my entire life. Not even when my ex-fiance called off our wedding with short notice. Trust me when I say I'll be working hard every day to undo this damage, but for now, this is the way it has to be.
If you're like me, you might be asking "what can I do to help?"
There's two main ways you can help, if you're a TransCat fan and you want to see the comics keep coming.

Number 1: BUY MY BOOKS
And get them soon because these might be the last TransCat books ever produced. Usually when I say "supplies are limited", it's a joke, but this time, I mean it. I may never be able to reprint these. What you get here and now may be the final TransCat books ever produced.

Number 2: SUPPORT ME ON PATREON
Like I said, if and when I ever get a chance to finish my unpublished comics, they'll probably only ever be on here. So pledge your support early, and get in on the ground floor of this hot mess.

Sadly, that's all you can do. Unless you just want to give me money for no reason, which i'll be honest, I won't say no to at this point.

Goodbye for now, my friends. Thanks for sticking with me as long as you did.

~Knave Murdok

No comments:

Post a Comment