Sunday, June 12, 2016

Today, of all days...


So I normally don't do more than a post in a month unless something breaking happens.
I was gonna do an update on Monday, talking more about Queer Comics Expo and the gallery showing, but it all seems so trivial now.

I'm sure if you're an internet junkie like me, you've seen the news about what happened in Orlando last night at the Pulse night club. If not, here is the quick and dirty breakdown.
A homophobe murderer was so offended by two guys kissing that he decided to open fire inside one of the biggest gay clubs in town at the height of pride week. Fifty dead, fifty-three more injured.

Naturally the news is taking this opportunity to talk about gun control, about terrorism, about anything and everything they can so they don't have to talk about homophobia.They wanna call this guy an ISIS member, even though if you take a look at his life, he wanted to be a cop. No known ties to ISIS from him OR his family. The guy's dad even went on record to say they were not a religious family. This guy radicalized all by himself, and he did it right here in the United States of America, where he was born and raised.

It's a saddening state of affairs, that's become all too common. While our focus drifts outwards, our enemies inwards find time to strike.

It's a sad day, no doubt. A day so sad that it almost seems disrespectful to just wake up and go about your business, continue to live your life like nothing happened. But that's what we gotta do. Especially now, at this time, the height of Pride week. I've spoken before about my thoughts on Pride, and what the event has kinda turned into and why I don't enjoy it. But at the same time, I very much recognize it's reason to exist. It exists because we were tired of being attacked. So we took to the streets and started marching. And as you do when you're worried about your life being taken from you at any moment, to tend to bring the party with you while you're marching. Now would be a terrible time to cower. People want us dead all over. Just the other day, a Target got it's bathroom literally bombed! Someone set off a bomb because of Target's more welcoming policy towards trans folk using their bathrooms. A FUCKING BOMB!
Then there was the guy in LA they caught with a truckload of guns heading for Pride there!
Trust me when I say this is not the last attack that'll be coming from these animals, so if you are marching, please stay safe.

So what do we do now?
Well, there's already a blood drive going on for the survivors. There are plenty of donors there, despite the fact that the FDA still refuses to allow gay men to donate blood. That's pretty fucked up.

I was thinking I wanted to donate somehow to something, and hopefully not jump through the hoops of an organization that is still upholding homophobic rules while trying to help homosexuals.

Then I found the GoFundMe page for EqualityFL

They are collecting funds to help go towards the families of the victims, for counselling, legal aid, and more.
I made MY donation:
...and I'd like to urge you all to do the same.
To sweeten the deal, I'm willing to offer you THIS!

Make a donation! Any amount will do! Then take a screen cap of your receipt.
You can EMAIL it to me!
You can post it on my FACEBOOK page!
You can @me on my TWITTER page!
You can mention it to me on my TUMBLR page!
Or you can @me on my INSTAGRAM page!

PM me a shipping address and I will send you a signed print of the image at the top of this page!
and if you don't wanna print, feel free to donate anyway. i'm not actually affiliated with this group at all, I just wanted to rep them.

I'll see you guys later. If you need me, I'll be at the only queer club in town for their karaoke night, singing my heart out to some protest songs.

Once again, here's that LINK




No comments:

Post a Comment